|Namibia's South and the Kalahari - Sept 2007
Welcome to the pangolin.li diary of our trip to Southern Namibia, Namaqualand, Augrabies, the Kalahari Meerkat Project, Mabuasehube and the Kgalagadi National Park, in September 2007.
The first part of the trip is not yet available, please start at the Meerkat section (click here).
Please follow the right-hand side links to access the daily diary pages, and visit the gallery for many more pictures of our trip (click here for gallery).
The diary of our 2005 trip to Namibia and South Africa is here.
The diary of our 2003 trip to Namibia is here.
The diary of our 2002 trip to South Africa is here.
- 31 Zurich – Windhoek: Taking over our car from Asco
- 01 Windhoek –Naukluft Park: Drive via Spreetshoghte pass to the Naukluft Park, overnight at a campsite there
- 02 Naukluft Park – D707 Gunsbewys: Hike in the Naukluft park in the morning, then drive via Solitaire, Namib Rand and splendid D707 to the farm Gunsbewys, between the Tiras Mountains and Koichab dunes; camping at Gunsbewys
- 03 Gunsbewys: Sunrise dune walk, lazy day at the farm, afternoon visit to San relicts, sundowner tour to the far end of the farm; camping at Gunsbewys
- 04 Gunsbewys – Aus – Fish River Canyon: drive to Aus, shopping, onwards to Fish River Canyon. Visit to the canyon for sunset; overnight at Canyon Village lodge
- 05 Fish River Canyon – Namaqualand (Naries): drive via Aussenkehr to the border and to Springbok (South Africa), on to Naries guest house, in the afternoon walk amongst Namaqualand flowers, sundowner; overnight at Naries guest house
- 06 Goegap Nature Reserve – Augrabies: In the morning visit to the Namaqualand flowers of the Goegap Nature Reserve, then long drive via Pofadder to Augrabies; overnight camping at Augrabies Lodge & Camp
- 07 Augrabies National Park – Upington: morning visit to the Augrabies falls, on to Upington for shopping; dinner with Marta & students; overnight at Bain’s House
- 08 Upington – Kalahari Meerkat Project: morning garage visit and shopping, then drive to the Kalahari Meerkat Project; visit “Frisky” meerkats; overnight at KMP
- 09 Kalahari Meerkat Project: visit to “Moomins” meerkat family
- 10 Kalahari Meerkat Project: visit to Elveera, Aztecs and Lazuli meerkat families
- 11 Kalahari Meerkat Project: visit to Rascals and Whiskers meerkat families
- 12 Kalahari Meerkat Project - Mabuasehube: drive via Middlepütz (Border to Botswana) and Tshabong to Mabuasehube Game Reserve (Eastern part of the Kgalagadi National park); overnight at Mabuasehube pan campsite
- 13 Mabuasehube GR: drive around the reserve, overnight at Mpayathutlwa campsite
- 14 Mabuasehube GR: drive around the reserve, overnight at Bosobogolo campsite
- 15 Mabuasehube GR – Matopi: drive on the “through road” to Matopi, in the middle of the Kgalagadi NP; overnight at Matopi campsite
- 16 Matopi – Nossob: drive on the “through road” to the Nossob valley, afternoon and overnight at Nossob campsite
- 17 Nossob – Grootkolk: drive to Grootkolk Wilderness Camp in Northern Kgalagadi NP, afternoon and overnight there; sunset drive on Kaa exit road (15 km)
- 18 Grootkolk – Rooiputs: drive in Nossob valley from Grootkolk to Rooiputs; overnight at Rooiputs campsite
- 19 Rooiputs – Nambibia – Quivertree forest/Keetmanshoop: Drive from Rooiputs via South Africa to Keetmanshoop in Namibia; late afternoon in the Quivertree forest and with the animals at the farm; overnight at Quivertree forest rest camp (room)
- 20 Quivertree forest – Anib Lodge: morning shopping at Keetmanshoop, drive to Anib lodge; afternoon and overnight there at campsite
- 21 Anib Lodge – Dordabis – Windhoek: drive from Anib Lodge through the hinterland to Dordabis and Windhoek; overnight at Eros Hotel in WDH
- 22 Windhoek and flight home: morning shopping in Windhoek, give back car at Asco, fly home to Switzerland
Last update: 23:00 04/06 2009